Oscar up the Gog

www. Jawapro .com
                    A Seriously Froody Website

Project Pandora

Author: jawapro
Date: Thu 29/08/2013 09:46 PM

Those of you who are my friends on Facebook may have noticed a lot of "Project Pandora" status updates lately. I deliberately didn’t say what Pandora was - which made people far more interested than if they’d actually known.

Anyway - Pandora can go public now.

Pandora is the name of my new PC. Why? Because it’s shaped like a box.

My previous PC "Phaeton" has been a real trooper for the past 5 years - but that’s a long time in computer terms, and he was well past retirement age. Well - maybe not retirement, but light duties anyway….

So I sought some advice from people who are more current with their hardware knowledge than I am - and ignored a great deal of it.

Ok - so I didn’t ignore that much - but the case I did.

It was described as a "Raging Hippopotamus" by Turkey’s mate Ben - which is a description I really quite like.

Sure it’s not a traditional looking case - but that’s why it appeals.

I also ignored all good advice and bought double the RAM they suggested. Wether that proves a good or bad decision I don’t know - time will tell. Sooner or later, time vill tell... (sorry - little off track there).

Pandora arrived and I held a private build party while I assembled it - but sadly the graphics card was a dud and crashed a while after I turned it on.

Did a heap of testing and eventually sent it back to the store. They didn’t believe me at first - but then it crashed for them too - so they sent me a new one. Seems ok now.

Gotta say - probably the best thing so far is the SSD harddrive. It’s sooooo much faster to boot up than my old PC.

Anyway - that’s enough waffling for now. Pandora and I are about to head back to Isla Nublar for the evening.

For those who are keen on such things - here are Pandora’s specs:

Case: Coolermaster HAF XB Case
PSU: 750W Silverstone Strider
Mobo: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
CPU: Intel i5 3570K
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3
GFX: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB
HDD: Samsung 500GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB

And for those who aren’t keen on such things - sorry Project Pandora wasn’t something more interesting.

Comments: 3

Comment: 1

Author: LittleSis
Date: Fri 30/08/2013 10:50 PM

I was thinking computer case, so I was nearly right.

Comment: 2

Author: DarthOblivion
Date: Thu 05/09/2013 09:02 AM

I would agree with the common wisdom and say that that RAM is a bit overkill. SSDs are definitely cool though - just a shame our PC doesn't have one. Also, which OS are you running? Windows I would assume, but 7 or 8?

Comment: 3

Author: jawapro
Date: Thu 05/09/2013 10:32 AM

Win7 - not a fan of 8.