Oscar up the Gog

www. Jawapro .com
                    A Seriously Froody Website

Into Darkness review

Author: jawapro
Date: Tue 14/05/2013 09:56 PM

Time to take a trek with Shaun, Sylar, and Sherlock aboard the USS LensFlare...

Yep - it’s Star Trek: Into Darkness.

It’s the sequel to the 2009 Star Trek movie which itself was both a reboot and a continuation of the original timeline.

Star Trek (actually Star Trek 11 but they forgot the numbers) was really quite good. Sure it had some dumb moments - but was a good ride and quite enjoyable. It managed to reboot the series and appeal to new watchers without totally pissing off all the old fans - quite a feat.

The sequel is "Into Darkness" and came out last week. My sister and I went to see it (yes, my sister wanted to go!) and it was quite good too.

I doubt any Star Trek fan hasn’t worked out that Sherlock was really Kahn - so I’m not giving anything away there. There were some awesome throwbacks to Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn, but they were nicely inverted. Any Trekkie worth their badge will recognise them.

The story is really quite complicated, and when you think about it, rather stupid. But you don’t realise that when you’re watching it - you just enjoy the ride, and the story appears far more coherent and logical than it actually is. Just don’t think about it too much later.

There are really only two things that annoyed me enough that I can’t forgive.

1. The Klingons. It’s awesome that Klingons made it into the movie (briefly) - but why do they look so dumb? Most of the time they are wearing helmets which might not seem very Klingon, but I didn’t mind that. It’s when one takes his helmet off that annoyed me. He doesn’t look anything like a Klingon - nor does he look awesome - it’s a very poor redesign for no reason. Not a fan.

2. The space-jump. Transporters are down - so to get between two ships, they do a very risky space-jump and almost die in the process. Minutes later they decide to abandon ship and send people to the shuttle-craft. Shuttles! If the shuttles are still intact - why not fly one of them over to the other ship? No, let’s attempt the barely feasible space jump that’s likely to kill the people who attempt it. Kirk really isn’t a great captain is he - Sisko, Picard, Janeway etc would have remembered the shuttles...

Sorry - had to get those off my chest.

Apart from that I really quite enjoyed the movie. If you liked the last one - you’ll like this one too.

Comments: 1

Comment: 1

Author: LittleSis
Date: Wed 15/05/2013 10:36 AM

I hadn't even noticed the space jump/shuttle discontinuity until you mentioned it. I enjoyed the movie too, but, like I said at the time, any scene without Kahn, Scotty, or Spock in it was boring. I really dislike Kirk.