Oscar up the Gog

www. Jawapro .com
                    A Seriously Froody Website

Serenity's Last Drive....

Author: jawapro
Date: Fri 16/12/2011 09:21 AM

Well - it turns out that I'm not taking much leave over Christmas, and that my week's leave in January has beeen shortened to a single day (which actually suits me fine) so I figured I should take a day or two before the office started complaining that I'd accrued too much.

So it was the perfect time to offer to go and help Turkey strip down his Landrover.

Serenity is Turkey's 1962 Series 2A Landrover. The idea is to stip her right down, repair, repaint, and rebuild. Turkey and his mates had already taken the roof off, but I was able to assist with removing the fuel tank, seat box, bullbar, and most obviously - the rear tub.

^ Seen here before the tub was removed.

We made quite a bit of progress, but not as much as we'd have liked. We discovered a strange phenomenon, the earlier we got started, the less we achieved. Still not sure how that works. Didn't help that we spent a day chasing G60s as well.

After removing the tub, Turkey decided to take the old girl on one last drive before going any further (which would prevent the engine from running). This would let him hose off the chassis that we'd exposed, as well as give him a chance to film the old girl running before he rebuilds it, as a sort of before and after thing.

I must say - given the rust on the bulkhead panel - I'd have expected the chassis to be in a poor way too - but it looks very nice indeed! If my G60 chassis are the same condition, I'd be a very happy man.

^All this time Kaylee has been watching on, patiently waiting her turn.

And if you want to see what two geeks driving an old Landrover with no seats, no brakes, and a small jerry can for a fuel tank looks like - head over to Youtube and take a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5nU1XfHPdQ

And on Turkey's behalf - let me point out that the reason for the bunny hop was the sudden discovery that the handbrake didn't work after all and the need to arrest the backwards roll towards the shed before things got expensive.

Comments: 4

Comment: 1

Author: G60michael
Date: Sun 18/12/2011 04:41 PM

1962,serenity only has 4 years on my 1966 G60,how long does turkeybrain estimate it will take to strip,Rebuild and Rego ??

Also Jawa you said

"Still not sure how that works. Didn't help that we spent a day chasing G60s as well"

Please inform me on the day Chasing G60,what happend ?? Buy another one ?? Show us some pics, cheers

Comment: 2

Author: DarthOblivion
Date: Mon 19/12/2011 09:05 AM

You and Turkeybrain are neck for neck with old cars - you have more cars, but he has significantly more shed than you do.

Comment: 3

Author: jawapro
Date: Mon 19/12/2011 10:36 AM

I'd trade him one of mine for the shed! Somehow I doubt he'd be interested.

And G60Michael, scroll down - it's right below this post!

Comment: 4

Author: turkeybrain
Date: Mon 19/12/2011 11:06 AM

Serenity is the 3rd generation of the Series Land Rover, although there's basically no change from the late Series II to the early Series IIA - it was more progessive deveopment, there's much more of a difference between early and late SIIAs. Yes, the G60 was two years old (IIRC) when Serenity was built, but Land Rovers had been in production for 14 years by that stage. Kaylee has 13 years on your particular vehicle.

You've argued in the past here that Land Rovers are a far less reliable and capable vehicle than the G60. I've never seen them head to head in an off road environment, so I really can't comment. I suspect your more powerful engine would have some huge advantages in climbing and towing, but I suspect I may do better on soft surfaces like sand, due to my much lighter vehicle. A well sorted Series can be very reliable, but like any old car they do need a lot of TLC to remain dependable. They tend not to suffer neglect well. Either way, I didn't buy Series Land Rovers because they were the best, I bought them because that's what I wanted. Buying a car to restore isn't a decision you make with your head. As much as I like the G60 (and trust me, I do, I've got right of first refusal on Rob's G60s), it pales into insignificance for me compared to a Landy. Everybody is different.

I had hoped to get Serenity restored in a matter of months, but I realised on day 1 that wasn't going to happen. I honestly have no idea how long this is going to take!

A couple of posts ago there's a photo of Rob standing with a red MWB G60. On the weekend he was down we inspected that and purchased it. We found plenty of other interesting things too, another G60, a Blitz truck,  an International Acco and Scout, a Series IIA FC, fibreglass moulds for doors and wings of a G60 and other stuff too. It was a good day out. Speaking of which, I haven't yet been to see a man about a IIA FC...

The shed is nice, but it's not mine on a permanent basis. I'm not sure how keen Dad is on having two Land Rovers where his '27 Chev truck should be. I imagine we'll have to do the truck before I can start on Kaylee, as sad as I find that. It's probably good for my pocket I guess.