Oscar up the Gog

www. Jawapro .com
                    A Seriously Froody Website

Stealth Gear

Author: jawapro
Date: Wed 21/09/2011 10:09 AM

Ok - old news, but I havent blogged it yet.

After the temporary death of the Rodeo, Chris needed a new car. Somehow how found this Excel and convinced the owner to sell it for $300!

Now it's only an Excel, and it's been repainted by someone who is obviously not a professional - but for $300 it's a bargain! The engine and everything seems to be in great condition.

If my car died - I'd be highly impressed to get something this good for this price so quickly.

I've paid more for vehicles that don't go and are full of rust!

Anyway - the only problems with the Excel is a lack of power steering (which is giving Chris a workout as he's not used to that - my first car didn't have Power Steering and was fine) and the fact that it's only a four-speed.

My first car was a four-speed too, and it really wanted an extra gear when you got up to 100km/h.

We took Chris's car for a shakedown cruise the day he got it - all the way to Burnie and back. It'd do 110km/h in fourth - but could have done with an extra gear.

As we approached Burnie, Chris was messing around and saying how a 5th would be nice, and pretended to put it into fifth.

The gear lever slotted in!

Chris looked shocked, pulled his foot off the clutch - and sure enough - there's a fifth gear!

It's got the knob from a 4-speed so we assumed it only had 4 gears.

Chris's Excel has a stealth gear!

We laughed all the way back from Burnie.

Comments: 2

Comment: 1

Author: turkeybrain
Date: Wed 21/09/2011 12:10 PM

Good thing you tried it out then! It would have been more irritating if he had worked it out when somebody was test driving it with a view to buying it from him! I guess unless you knew better, there really wouldn't be much reason to doubt what the gear stick was telling you.

Comment: 2

Author: DarthOblivion
Date: Wed 21/09/2011 08:36 PM

Overdrive engage!